Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Summary Of Today's Events

Neither one of us got a full night of sleep last night. Having so many days off made us both a little less industrious in getting away from home. It always works that way.

We stopped in Pauls Valley, OK for fuel and breakfast. Dallas traffic would still be in full gear so we dawdled a little to, hopefully, miss the worst of it.

Traffic wasn't too bad. We had one little annoyance with a pickup truck laden down with sod going 45 mph on the Interstate. He was ahead of us for about 15 minutes, he then got out of the way of all traffic.

When we got to Linde (Lindy) Gas, we easily found our trucks and were advised to drive the Kenworths. The Freightliner and the Mack have some troubles, we were told.

I did my inspections of the trucks. Make sure all the lights, front and back, work. Check the damage on the trucks and make sure none of it will interfere with our ability to drive/tow them. Also make sure there are no pieces that will come off in traffic and cause a hazzard. Check fluids - don't need to have the equipment fail for lack of fluids. Check the fuel level in the tanks-surprise, surprise-these trucks actually have more than 5 inches of fuel in them.

It was so hot, the sun was intense and I was just going on my merry way. I had both of our back trucks staged while Joe took a bathroom break so I went to work on the brake assemblies on the trucks. The Mack would need a "Cross Over Yoke" to work the brakes, while the Freightliner would only need a fitting on the airline at the firewall. I mixed them up. I put the Cross Over Yoke on the Freightliner and headed to the Mack with the airline fitting. That was when I realized what I had done. Made extra work for myself. Now I have to have both of the Cross Over Yokes on. Oh well, the trucks have the required brake assembly for the DOT should we get checked.

Other than the relentless heat, things went well. We had to stop a few times and get out of the heat for a bit.

We left Linde Gas and went to the T/A Truckstop to get some food and replenish the loss of water. Both of us were sapped and ready to call it a day.

We are at the Best Western in Canton, TX for the night. Me and my runny nose are going to bed after a shower to wash off today's grease, sweat, and grit.

Tomorrow is about a 600 mile day through the remainder of Texas, through Louisianna, up through a bit of Mississippi, into Alabama, and we might get into Tennessee.

I'll keep you posted.

Posted with LifeCast

No comments: