Friday, July 18, 2008

Dispatch?

Not yet. Things have changed.

Once in a while this happens. We plan on taking a run and things happen.

The trucks out of Dallas, TX and Kansas City, MO to Youngstown, OH have sort of evaporated. Only sort of. There is still a peek of them through the closing shroud.

Seems the purchasers of the trucks (25 trucks in total) want to personally hand pick the first six to leave. This has been the working assumption since the middle of last week. Each day that passes it makes it more difficult for us to go with one of our other dispatch offices because we may not be in a position to take these trucks we've said we would do. We've committed to taking them and we have to honor that commitment.

The really bad part about all this is the customer is not communicating with our dispatch office. We are not the only one getting frustrated by the delays, and we are not the only ones losing revenue.

We'll be home this weekend and come Monday we have to do something. Commitment or not we can't wait for the customer to step up. We've been home since July 4th and it is about time to get back out. And I'm getting bored. I'll have to spend the weekend thinking of something to do. Something like really clean the kitchen. Or move all the furniture in the livingroom and vacuum under it. Or fine tune my business expense/income filing system.

I'll have to think about that.

Along the lines of finding something to do...we are going to be grandparents come November. A brand new baby, and it is a boy. The finding things to do here is looking at the baby items for sale on the internet. June of 2001 was the most recent time I've purchased baby items. Things have changed dramatically from 1979 to 2001. 1979 was when my last child was born, 2001 was when my second grandchild was born. The things available are astounding.

I used cloth diapers for a while, until the disposable ones really came to market in 1979. There are a plethora of diapers in the stores now. From newborn to toddlers and the pull ups for potty training. Car seats were not mandatory back in 1979 but are now. I got a brain freeze trying to figure out which car seat would be the better purchase. The magical one that is an infant porter thing that turns into a car seat that turns into a stroller, or the one that is an infant porter that turns into a car seat, or separate porter and separate car seat.

When my youngest was born I thought I had hit on the best item around with a burp pad made from rubber and had flannel on each side. Now the burp pads come shaped for the neck and shoulder of the burper.

Clothing I know is going to be a must have, but the choices are vast. Where is the sack with the little folding part at the end of the arms to keep baby from scratching him/her self? Man those were must have items for me. Untie the bottom of the sack and have access to diaper changing. Nearly all the onesies have something to say on the front. Our grand baby will be born in winter in Colorado. Onesies won't cut it. I disliked those things anyway. To get at the dirty diaper was easy. Moving the crotch flap up behind squirming baby's back was manageable. Changing a really soupy, messy diaper with the squirming infant was like painting poop all over everything. Then I nearly gave my kids whip lash trying to pull the onesie back into place and fasten the snaps. I ended up unsnapping the crotch and pulling the whole garment off the kid, change the diaper and put the garment back on the kid. Man I hated those things. Loved the sack though. That thing had lots of room to shove up under baby and out of the way of messes.

I'll find some stuff to send to our Little Mommy. When we get back out on the road I am sure to find baby clothes with State names on them. He can be a well traveled guy without having to go anywhere. Sounds good to me.

Travel, I must. Into the kitchen to start supper.

No comments: