Monday, July 21, 2008

Motorcycle Endorsement

Joe bought me this Metropolitan "Scooter" for Christmas 2006. I have tried to ride it several times. Biker Mama I am NOT. Fraidy Cat I AM. In October of 2007 I decided to give it a try.

I made it out of our neighborhood to a street with no speed bumps. A clear stretch for 3/4 of a mile. I was so excited. The thought of going fast on the scooter with no impediments to navigate would be thrilling. I was up for it. I was psyched. I was stoked.

Idling at the opening of this street I had some concerns for other people's safety. I'm not experienced enough to go to the grocery store and handle traffic so a quiet street with no traffic would be ideal. This street has two "S" curves that are long so I should have no fear of dumping the scooter. There is plenty of room at the other end to turn around and come back. My confidence could use a boost and today would be the day.

The thought of wind blowing across my face and through my hair. The freedom to zoom down an open road and remember the feeling I used to get as a passenger on a motorcycle. I was getting more and more excited and pumped. I was ready to tackle this street. No traffic, no speed bumps, no people. I can do this.

I rev up the engine a little, release the brakes, and off I go. The further I got down the road the better it felt. Wobbling a little but it was manageable. I got to the end of the street pleased with what I had just accomplished and I was ready to go back. Faster this time.

The results were: A blistering, heart pounding......10 mph.





Chicken me - Joe rides "Polly" now. He has taken her to get his prescriptions filled, a small grocery run, get MRI film from the hospital for his prostate cancer treatments. He gets her out and opens her up to the 40 mph she will do.

When he bought the Honda Metropolitan from Moddrell Honda in Chickasha, OK they told him he did not have to have a motorcycle endorsement on his license because it was rated at less than 2 cc's (whatever that is - guy lingo). When he got Polly tagged and licensed he found out otherwise. Still need a motorcycle endorsement on our driver's licenses.

The licensing place told him to be there at 5:30 a.m. to get in line for the Road Test. They don't open the business until 8:30 a.m.!!! Bureaucrats. At least he will be "Street Legal" by the time he gets back home.

No comments: