Sunday, July 20, 2008

Get Smart - The Movie

My husband and I went to the movies last night to see Get Smart. He thought I needed cheering up.

I think the last movie we saw in a theater was the John Travolta movie - Wild Hogs.

Steve Carrel. Right up there with Chevy Chase and Steve Martin in my estimation. Some people like these guys and their slapstick sense of humor. I don't.

First, let me say there are three characters in the Get Smart movie that I enjoyed. The two "tech geeks" and The Rock. One of the "tech geeks" face was so familiar to me, I just could not remember where I had seen him. I knew it was in a commercial, but which one. My husband I debated about this for a while and could not agree that he had been in the Capital One commercials with Dave Spade. I had to Google it to see. And he was in those commercials.

The teens attending the movie with us were laughing hysterically at the mishaps and self inflicted harm the characters went through in the movie. Truth be told, I would have laughed just as loud at the dumb adults were I a teen. Being an adult and seeing the antics on the screen were not funny. The teens laughing have better judgment about self inflicted pain than the character Steve Carrel played. If you shoot yourself with a 3 inch harpoon connected to a wire one time, why would you try to do it again? This character did it several times. Way past funny and into just plain stupid.

There were only 2 (two) funny places in the movie - in my opinion. The dancing scene with Steve Carrel's character and his partner. She gets a sassy look on her face that indicates "I'm just as good as the skinny ones at this". The second funny part was when Steve Carrel's character took a bow to the orchestra people at the end. His bare butt exposed in torn pants to the audience now behind him.

Would I go see this movie again? Not just no but, Hell NO. Would I rent this when it comes out in Netflix or from Blockbuster? Hell NO. I could not wait for the movie to end so we could leave. Joe found it funny and he was enjoying it.

As miserable as I was, he didn't need to leave just because I was not amused. I could have left, as I have done in other movies he's taken me to that I did not want to see. The hurt on his face when I do get up and leave is not worth it. He tends to berate himself for a while after. This man with confidence and strength, whom I adore, stricken down because he thinks he caused me to be unhappy. I did telegraph my unhappiness to him by hopping my leg up and down in nervous anxiety. So, in a way I caused him to hurt. No win situation here.

"Only if" the casting people and directors could have found someone like Don Adams who originated the part. Who knows, the movie may have been a lot better - in my opinion. I wonder if this was one of the "Critic's" picks for a good movie.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Oh my gosh Mom....it sucks you didn't like this movie. I loooooved this movie, but I love Steve Carrell. My VERY favorite part was after the bathroom scene in the airplane when he was falling with no parachute, and was screaming his head off. Agent 99 came down, and he goes ...... "Oh good you heard me" Evne now that freakin cracks me up.... noone would have heard him screaming...thats the funny part!!! HOLY CRAP that is some funny stuff!!!!! Sorry you didn't like it.. but man that was a good movie!!!