Friday, July 18, 2008

Grrrrr Arrrrgh Friklefrak

I had a nightmare on my hands. Joe's iPhone and its contacts.

I am only slightly computer literate. Problem solving is in the realm of Sherlock Holmes or Sam Spade. I have to be a detective sorting through all the gobbeldy gook and menus to figure out what I need to do.

Someone who is wise to ways of computers would have had my problem solved in 10 minutes. Not being computer savvy it took me seven hours. By the time I figured it out I was ready to commit major mayhem and foolishness.

We have had a (one - 1) .Mac account for seven years. Now that both Joe and I have iPhones we each have to have an account. I upgraded our account to a family one and he got his own little account. Now the fun began.

He synced his phone and MobileMe sent all of his information into my stuff. I had his stuff mingled with my stuff. What's the problem you might ask? I don't want clutter in my Address Book. I won't be calling his contacts so why have them.

I spent the next hours working to get his stuff under his MobileMe account.

I called the support number and had a 45 minute conversation with a young woman that did not understand what I wanted to do. I explained over and over that I wanted my husband's stuff in his account and my stuff in my account. As I said earlier - once she understood me it took 10 minutes to accomplish.

I then ended up causing Joe's iPhone to lock up.

Besides banging the iPhone with a hard implement, I figured the next best thing would be to just reset his phone to the factory settings.

All is well in our household now. Both iPhones work as they should. His stuff is in his place and my stuff is in my place. The good thing about this mess: We are home and I can take the time to do this stuff. Had we been on the road it would have been a nightmare. So all is good.

No comments: