Monday, August 25, 2008

The Trip From Laredo, TX to Calexico, CA


In my last post, I told you of the trial and tribulations in Laredo, Texas and ending the day in Del Rio, Texas.

The next morning, Wednesday, August 20, 2008, we left the Days Inn in Del Rio later than we had planned. We were both so tired that 5 am came and went. We didn't get up until about 6:30 and left the hotel close to 8 am.

About 20 miles west of Del Rio, Texas on US 90 is the first Border Patrol Check Point we would come to. As you can see, we were on a two lane road and would be for the next, nearly, 200 miles to Fort Stockton, Texas. Anyway, back to the Border Patrol Check Point. Some have dogs along with the officers, this one was only the officer.

We get asked the same question at all of these "Are you a US Citizen?". Joe, being the more adventurous soul answers "Yes sir, I am. And, are you?" The first time I heard him ask this question I was on pins and needles wondering what was going to happen. Did the officer think he was being disrespectful, or belligerent? I figured we were going to be hauled out of the vehicle and dragged (kicking, screaming, and begging) into the little building that accompanies these posts. Images of rubber hoses being flailed upon our persons was a predominant theme bouncing around in my head. Instead the officer smiled broadly and proclaimed loudly "Yes, sir I am. Born and raised in the US." Several miles later and many minutes my heart rate returned to normal. I did still look in the rear view mirrors to make sure no one was driving up behind us to take us to our doom.

On this day, Joe first in line and me bringing up the rear, when I approached the officer on duty he just waved me through. "Go on ma'am, you are clear." That stunned me. I was waiting to give him my answer of "Yes sir."

During this days trek I thought about having a video camera propped on the dash board looking out the window to record the landscapes we pass through. I even considered going to a "Spy Shop" (where you can buy all manner of video recording devices) and getting a "lipstick camera" and attaching it somewhere on my person so our trips could be viewed from my perspective while driving. Although this would be good to do, it would end up being really, really, boring. Then my thoughts turned to how I could switch the video on and off so I would not have to fall asleep editing 12 hours of highways to get the pieces I really wanted in.

The day before, traveling US 90 to Del Rio (going the opposite direction of today), there was a Seismic Survey Crew out in the fields driving this strangely articulated vehicle with a mechanism in the middle that whomped down on the ground every so often to send sonar like sound waves into the ground and picked up by another device to "see" what was below the surface. This crew is out looking for places to drill for oil. Joe calls them "Thumper Trucks" because that is what they do - Thump. I did not have my camera with the zoom lens near me that day or I would have taken some pictures of these vehicles.

Things like this is what I thought would be good to get on camera. That way you could see the different things that go on in our world.

I have not quite figured out the best way to do this. Digital Video Tape or a Digital Thumb Disk. What kinds of cords and plugs would I need, how many wires would sprout from my clothing and get tangled up on my way in and out of the truck. How would I shut the thing off when I had to go to the bathroom? Would I have to proclaim to all in hearing they are being video taped when I go into a restaurant or a truck stop? Would I have to video the floor in these places, or the table top in restaurants? I guess it might be worth a little more time to think this idea through.

These thoughts carried me on US 90 to Sanderson, Texas where we got US 285 to Ft. Stockton, Texas.

Searching for a place to eat before getting on I-10, we found a "K-Bob's Steakhouse". Not a bad place to eat. It was really busy. The locals eat here and it was packed.


View Larger Map

After lunch we got on I-10 and headed west to the New Mexico state line where we have to purchase permits for our trip across New Mexico. Walking to the Weigh Station office, after having parked in their lot, we saw a Greyhound bus in one of the Inspection Bays. All of its passengers were off loaded and stood around waiting to be let back on the bus. There have been several bus accidents recently, with fatalities. Before we left the Weigh Station with our permits two more buses were brought into the Inspection Bay. They are taking this thing serious. Do I mind, hell no. Safety is a major concern for us on the highways.

Back on the road and debating whether to keep going to Willcox, Arizona for the night or stopping in New Mexico and saving Arizona for the next day. Our log books determined our stop would be in New Mexico. Neither one of us could afford a Log Violation for out of hours in Arizona where we have to buy another permit.

The Holiday Inn in Deming, New Mexico is where we stopped for the night. They had rain before we got there. The lake like puddles in the gravel parking lot told that tale. In the truck parking lot were five semi trucks and trailers marked with the "Monday Night Football" logos on them. Ah, football season has come around again.

The next morning, Thursday, August 21, 2008, we got an early start on our day. We would have the advantage of being two hours ahead of this part of the world so a start at 7:30 am our time was 5:30 local. Off we go, back on I-10 and heading west. Breakfast was at the Flying J in Lordsburg, New Mexico.

At the Weigh Station in San Simon, Arizona we went in to purchase permits to cross Arizona. The cool start to this day was going to be turning hot the closer to Hell we got. By the time we got to Tucson, Arizona the A/C was on high with that dreadful sun beating down on us.

West of Tucson on I-10 we had to exit onto I-8 and head towards San Diego. About 20 miles west on I-8 we encountered another Border Patrol Check Point. You will see that the bugs had been in full force for a while. The windshield is covered with their spatters. This check point had multiple officers and a dog or two. Being in the west bound lanes of I-8 we only had to slow down. We were not asked if we were citizens.

The Border Patrol on this portion of the highway take this very seriously. These officers are clipped and their tones of voice are more authoritative. Still doesn't stop Joe from asking if they are US Citizens also. I swear, that man makes my heart race for more reasons than just seeing him across a crowded room. Kind of reminds me of poking a stick at a snake.

We stopped in Yuma, Arizona for one final potty break before we did the 50 or so miles to Calexico, California and delivery. Joe had called the person in charge and let them know we would be there at 5:30 pm local so they knew we would be after hours.

Once in the lot at TBM Carriers in Calexico we got busy with the delivery. It took us 1 and 3/4 hours to get finished. Another 20 to 30 minutes to chat with the guys that checked us in and out the gate. We were on the way back to Yuma, Arizona and the Ramada Inn.

Earlier in the day we had heard some disheartening news. Another trucking company has closed. We were told to be on the look out for their trucks and call one of our dispatch offices and alert them to the location of the truck. It is my understanding that the trucking company just shut off the fuel cards to their drivers and told them to get home best they could. That is a real shitty way of treating their drivers, if in fact that is what they told their drivers. Makes me wonder how many of their drivers were 500 miles or more from home with no money to get anywhere.

Here are some pictures of the sand dunes in California on I-8 just a few miles west of the Arizona/California border.

































No comments: