Tuesday, August 26, 2008

A Search For Humor Resulted In This


While fiddling around, not wanting to go to bed just quite yet, I did a search of humorous blogs on Google. The list of names is enough to put one to sleep, and trying to figure out what the blog is about by the title was enough to make me a little jittery. Then I saw one of possible interest.

http://cakewrecks.blogspot.com

Entering the site I was delighted to find pictures, and commentary, of decorated cakes. It appears all of the cakes were bought and paid for. Not made by family given to the recipient free of charge.

I spent the next half hour laughing so hard I had a coughing fit, or looked upon the cake pictured and got queasy. They range from cute to really odd and disgusting. While you browse the cakes pictured just imagine YOU are the recipient of the cake. What the heck were people thinking when they walked up to the counter and put their order in?

The one I have pictured, above, is something that happened to me one time. In the bakery section of a grocery store I frequented (years ago) I requested a birthday cake for my daughter who would be two years old. It was at a time in my life when a little extra money - $10.00 - was a windfall and I wanted to splurge on her birthday and get her a cake. I felt so good about myself and I was so excited to see her face when she saw the cake with her name. At the time, the name of Carissa was unusual and not common as it is today. It took about four tries with the cake decorator to get the spelling right on the order sheet. I snatched that paper away and wrote "Happy Birthday C-A-R-I-S-S-A". Just Happy Birthday Carissa was all I had wanted on the cake, the extras cost - well extra. All was well and I left the store with promises the cake would be ready the next day after 3 pm for me to pick up. The time came for me to pick up the cake. The excitement I felt upon entering the store was intense, almost giddy. As I got to the bakery I was walking on air thinking about the happiness in my daughters face when she saw her cake. The person at the bakery brought the cake out and everything came to a screeching halt. My heart plummeted to my feet and all the euphoria I felt dissolved into horror.

The cake presented to me was one with a boy theme of Transformers and across the top of the cake was just like this "C-A-R-S-S-I" the quotation marks were in place as were the hyphens. I was disheartened and getting hot. During the next few minutes of negotiations to correct the cake I was finally told it would take another day before the cake could be made right because of the spray color they used and the Transformer Theme I would still have to pay for since they could not sell it to another person now that it was used. The only good thing about this whole mess was that my daughter was too young to know what all the hoopla was about.

Well, after that fiasco I began making my own cakes. Some turned out good while others were questionable. But I made the mistakes and paid only for the cake mix and frosting. So I was out maybe $4 instead of $25.

Go check this blog out. You will get a good laugh.

No comments: