Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Mrs. Cranky Pants

I had a post for Saturday that I've been trying to get sent and won't go for some reason.

Saturday we left Florence, SC and headed for Monroeville, IN with a stop in Statesville, NC. These trucks don't have A/C, as long as we are moving the air flow isn't bad, while an ocassional bug blown in brings a yelp from the sting of it smacking my arm, it is tolerable.

Going north on I-77 we traveled through North Carolina, Virginia, and West Virginia. Part of I-77 in West Virginia is a Toll Road. A windy, twisty, uphill, downhill highway surrounded by stone cliffs and trees. At night it seems like a ride on some demented amusement park whirly gig. By the time we ended that section of I-77 in Charleston, WV I was in dire need of a barf bag or at least get off the damn ride.

Sunday we got off the interstate and traveled the state roads in West Virginia, Ohio, and into Indiana getting to the delivery site mid afternoon.

After delivering the trucks in Monroeville, IN we began the deadhead back to Louisville, KY, getting as far as a Super 8 in Indianapolis, IN where a tepid shower and a moderately firm bed was almost heaven.

Monday morning we called Dispatch to let them know we were less than 200 miles from Louisville. I got a call about 45 minutes later, both Joe and I are up for a Random Drug and Alcohol Test. We have to do it in Louisville that same day. I told Dispatch we would get mostly hooked up then go in the pickup for the tests, they were okay with that.

I was looking forward to getting back in these trucks. Air conditioning and having a truck with no trash to wade through. Such small things make a big difference.

Monday morning, late, we got to Louisville located our trucks and began the usual work of inspection and hook up.

Joe got my trucks just about done by the time I had the inspections done. The heat was about 98 with humidity way up there. Poor Joe, this heat and humidity was dragging him down. We left for our drug tests, spending two hours in a cool waiting room was so welcomed. Testing done and back to work.

We got back to the trucks with the intent of loading the pickup, finishing up and get on the road. Not today. A big pin was coming out of the trailer at a flex point. Joe and a shop person worked for an hour to get it fixed.

The heat of the last few days had taken their toll on both of us. We stopped the hook up and went to the Holiday Inn in Louisville for the night. Tomorrow is another day.

Tuesday morning we finished the hook up and left the dealership just in time. A rain storm got us before we were half a mile out.

I had a new experience. The left wiper blade would get hung up on the outer most part of the windshield. For the next five miles, or so, I traveled with the window open, my left hand out the door to unstick the wiper blade with each swipe it made.

Holy Crap, can this job get anymore fun? Just wait, it does. About 25 miles out the air conditioning gives out. We stop at a Flying J in Franklin, Kentucky for fuel and I ask Joe to put some R134a in the cooling system. The truck takes two cans quickly. While I'm in the shade I have cool air, once out in the sunlight the cool air vanished and super heated air blows out from the vents. The air is so hot it stings my fingers and legs. I get the vents pointed away from me and close the louvres, open the windows and do the rest of Tuesday's driving in a sweat box.

When we finally get to the Red Roof Inn at Stockbridge, Georgia (461 miles later) I am soaking wet from sweat and one crabby person.

This morning I didn't want to get back in that hot box but I had to get this over with. By the time we got to Albany, Georgia I was hot and mean mouthed. We finally got these brutes delivered and I finally got to ride in air conditioning.

Tonight we are at a Comfort Inn at Commerce, GA. Tomorrow we will head for West Union, South Carolina for one truck then go to Florence, SC for more of these "Cream Puffs" for Monroeville, IN.

Posted with LifeCast

No comments: