Friday, August 22, 2008

New Kenworths - Brand New

On Tuesday, August 19, 2008 we left the Days Inn in Del Rio, Texas. We have become regulars, of sorts. The people at the T&B Bar/Grill next door recognized us. It is nice to be welcomed to an establishment far from home.

Up at 5 am, out the door at 6:15, on the road at 6:30 (a stop at McDonalds included), finishing our deadhead to Laredo, Texas.

We arrived at French Ellison Truck Center in Laredo at 9:30 am ready to get these trucks hooked up before the day got too hot. It was ideal weather for it, overcast and a bit humid, but cool. The General Manager said the trucks weren't ready yet, we could wait in the drop lot for the trucks. We went to the drop lot and waited. While waiting we listened to more of the book on CD we have been working on for about two weeks. It helped pass the time.

The first truck arrived at 10:20 am. Since none of the trucks were assigned to either one of us Joe decided the first truck out would be the one I would drive. The trucks are all the same and they are all new so nothing major to consider. Joe did his work on the back of the trailer to get my boom extended and ready to be stubbed into the truck I will drive. I moved the first truck into position for my boom then got out and inspected the truck. Joe did his magic until I finished my job then I helped him get the boom stabilized so I can get it off the trailer and move the truck out of the way. That done we got back in the pickup and listened to more of the book.

The second truck arrived at 11:30. I moved it behind the truck with my boom then inspected it while Joe installed the axle chains. When I finished the inspection I put on the air fairing braces and straps, then helped Joe with the brake assembly and light bar. Now that both of my trucks were here and all the "work" was done on them we hooked them together and I was ready to go. Back to the pickup to listen to more of the book.

12:15 the third truck arrived. This would be Joe's back truck. I moved this truck behind the trailer in readiness for Joe to install his axle chains while I did the inspection. Once finished with these tasks I secured his air fairings and helped with the brake assembly.

By now the overcast sky had cleared and it was getting really hot. We both needed more water but didn't know if we should leave the drop lot or not. Joe decided we would at least get the trailer attached to his back truck and think about putting the pickup up. We got the trailer attached and HAD to leave for water, we both were about to fall down from heat exhaustion and dehydration. Off to the convenience store we went. Gatorade, water, and juice we loaded up on then returned to the drop lot. The fourth truck had not yet arrived by this time, 1:45.

We stayed in the pickup and listened to more of the book.

2:20 Joe decided to get the pickup loaded on the trailer. We could sit in my truck in the air conditioning until his truck came. At least all the hard work would be done by that time.

Getting the personal stuff out of the pickup into my truck took about 10 minutes. Getting the pickup loaded on the trailer and ready for Joe's last truck took another 15 minutes. We sat in my truck and watched the storm clouds roll in.

Wouldn't you know it, just as the guy brought Joe's truck in and backed it close to the trailer the rain came. Cats and dogs rain. A full on gully washer. In about 15 minutes the amount of rain that fell was about 4 inches. I didn't want to wait for the rain to stop to do my inspection. Leaving the inspection sheet and clipboard in his truck I check the stuff on the inside; washer/wipers, radio, A/C, gauges, and flipped the light switches on. While I was outside checking for damage on the truck Joe was honking and waving his arms at me from my truck. I waved him off and went about my business.

Soaked through, but done, I went to Joe and asked for my street clothes. Off I went to the French Ellison office for the bathroom to change clothes and get signatures on the load sheets.
Walking across the street to the office I encountered water ankle deep, and warm to the touch.

Once in the office I left a trail of water puddles on my way to the bathroom. Dry clothes and I felt better. Now in search of a trash bag to carry my wet stuff out and get papers signed I found the sales person I needed and off I went. When I got to the door on my way out the rain had stopped. Time to get going.

By the time I got back over to the drop lot Joe had his truck backed into the trailer and the pickup wheels strapped down. He was working in his rain coat, at least one of us had some sense. I only had about five minutes work to help him get all hooked up then get his stuff transferred from my truck to his.

Ready to leave and begin our trip to Calexico, California. This night we will be where we started the day. The Days Inn in Del Rio, Texas.

No comments: