Monday, September 22, 2008

Saturday Delivery In Fargo And Sioux Falls

Up and out before sunrise in Fargo, North Dakota we decided to get breakfast at Village Inn while waiting for daylight. At 8:15 we were delivered and signed for at the Kenworth dealership, only one truck left to deliver in Sioux Falls, South Dakota.

Back to the hotel room for showers, change of clothing, and clearing out for the 244 mile trip to Sioux Falls.

Weather was clear and by 10:30 it was warming up. The temperature was almost 78 when we had to stop at a Weigh Station so I could buy a $15 permit to travel the highway in South Dakota.

We arrived in Sioux Falls at 12:15. With no one available to sign for the delivery I was instructed to leave the truck locked and told where to leave the keys. That done, this trip was now officially done.

Off to Kansas City, Missouri, another 360 mile deadhead, for trucks going to Ft. Wayne, Indiana. I really need to stop early to do laundry. We are out of clothes. We don't have dispatch for any trucks just instructions to head toward Kansas City. Monday we will get the dispatch.

Saturday night we stayed at the Quality Inn at Omaha, Nebraska and they have a guest laundry. After a good nights sleep, finally, I was up at 7:30 Sunday morning and got the laundry sorted. The first load went in at 8 and the second load was in at 8:30. When I went back to the laundry room at 9 to check on the first drying load and get the third load in the washer there was water all over the floor and trying to escape the room.

I found a housekeeping person and told her water was all over the floor. She looked at me in a manner I know only too well. No English and I am limited in Spanish. I pointed at the floor and said "agua" then guestured with my hands open and arms widening in the hope that she understood meant wide. She looked in the door and at the floor then went to a nearby room for towels. Between us we got the water stopped from coming out to the carpet.

I took my last load back to the room and called the front desk to have maintenance check the leak. When I went back to check on the dryer, hoping I hadn't started an electric fire, the maintenance guy was there. He wanted to know what kind of detergent I used. With hackles beginning to raise I told him liquid, his next response was to tell me that I may not have done it right by putting in too much detergent. That tore it. "The water is clear, no soap, no bubbles, no dirty water". I was ready to spout off at him. He then told me he had run the washer with no soap and had no problem with a leak. So I said "You knew there was a problem?" to which he nodded his head then told me I was not to do another load of laundry. Well duh! I got the clothes out of the dryer and left.

We got checked out and headed to Kansas City, Missouri and the La Quinta on I-435. They have a guest laundry so I can finish what I started that morning.

So, here it is Monday morning and we are off to Bates City, Missouri to get Joe's trucks going to Ft. Wayne, Indiana. Only two this time.

That was our weekend.

At 11:15 am we arrived at Transtar Trucks in Bates City, Missouri to get Joe's trucks. We were on the road for about 30 minutes when the truck Joe is driving began making Rap Music. Pfft pft pt pffft pt pft pfft. We just made it to the TA in Concordia, Missouri and the repair shop before all the air bled out. Joe said he also needed the fuel filter changed. 30 minutes and $85 later we got back on the road.

Things are picking up. After we unload in Ft. Wayne, Indiana it is about 15 miles to Monroeville, Indiana for two trucks. I'll ride with Joe to Saginaw, Michigan where my trucks will go to Fremont, Nebraska and his will go to Kearney, Nebraska. We will then deadhead to Springfield, Missouri and get four trucks going to Houston, Texas. Then we will deadhead to Laredo, Texas and take four new trucks to Calexico, California.

We have work now through Tuesday or Wednesday of next week.

Tonight, we have thought about the Rodeway Inn at Effingham, Illinois. These plans change. I'll let you know tomorrow.

Posted with LifeCast

No comments: